Thursday, January 29, 2009

Balanced Egg

Balanced Egg
Camera:
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: +1 EV

If it's possible it's probable, anything that is probable will happen given enough time. Throw these eggs into the air; eventually you will arrive to divine composition.

Lighting & Setup:

I used an Acculite Viewing Box which contains a fluorescent tube inside with a piece of frosted plastic on top to create diffuse lighting. This viewing box is used to view film negatives.


Eggs were placed at the edge of viewing box and taped in place. Camera and tripod were adjusted to photograph the eggs from above to create the illusion of them being stacked on top of each other.


I metered the scene then adjusted my ex poser compensation to over exposed by one stop from what the Meter was telling me. I decided to over expose because I knew my meter was giving me an incorrect reading. Since these light meters want to make the scene render out to about 18% gray it was making the light coming from the box much to gray instead of white.


Looking back I could have probably even over exposed the image by two stops to gain even more contrast between the eggs and the viewing box.




Post Processing:
Minimal post processing was needed. I used the healing brush to clean up a few spots on the viewing box and a slight curve adjustment to get more contrast. Looking back I could have probably made the contrast stronger but a better option would be to do it correctly in camera first.


I also should have been more careful taping the eggs to the viewing box to ensure they are precisely placed. I would like to revisit this image at a later date and perhaps experiment with different stacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment